Tuesday 19 June 2012

Royal Ascot - Day 2

The opening day was brilliant as expected. Frankel was utterly breath-taking in the Queen Anne, added to a winner for Hong Kong, Most Improved finally justifying the hype his trainer has shown with him all season. As a footnote, can I just express my condolences to all involved with The Nile, a horse who had a huge future that sadly ended in the St James's Palace Stakes.
I hope that the yard can have a winner as compensation this week.
Let's have a look at Day 2, which starts with the Jersey Stakes. It's a 3 year old only race which has attracted a huge field here, with 25 currently down to run. I don't have much of a view, I would have done if Fort Bastion had run as Richard Hughes rated him his best ride of the week, but as he doesn't the market isn't very stable. If there had to be one to go for, then Aljamaaheer would be the pick, who won well at Newmarket when I was there last time, creating a good impression, and should be bang there at the end of the race. The flies in the ointment may well be Valbcheck and Sentaril, who are both very lightly raced from top stables.
The next is the Windsor Forest Stakes, and readers of my ante post piece will know I am keen on Nahrain. It suprised me she stayed in training after her French victory last year, but I'm glad she has and most go very close. To add to the confidence, trainer Roger Varian said she was his best hope of the week. Chachamaidee would be the danger, and a good each way price too at 11/2.
The Prince of Wales's Stakes is next up, and a good renewal as well. It's hard to get away from So You Think, despite the glory of a Royal winner in Carlton House or the most interesting contender, Farhh, who has been kept quiet to date. I think So You Think will win as he has the best form, and looked better than ever on his reappearance run. A small win bet would be advised.
This is followed by the Royal Hunt Cup at 4.25, with 30 runners over a mile. I don't have a stand out selection as such, but I like a couple at each way prices, which are Mabait and Boogie Shoes. Mabait bounced into form for the his new yard last time at Chester, and has dropped to a very good mark now. He ran second in a Victoria Cup at this track when with Luca Cumani, and I think he will be on the premises. Boogie Shoes ran a shocker last time at Epsom, but the straight mile will help him, and a hood might bring about a better showing too. Rock Critic and Belgian Bill must be feared too.
This is followed by another two year old contest, the Queen Mary, and as the week goes on, Mironica has nearly lead my list for my best selections of the meeting. She was very impressive on her debut, winning very comfortably, and for connections who had their Dylanbaru run into third in a two year old race on Tuesday, must go very close. I think this is the weakest two year old race of the week as well.
The last race is the Sandringham Handicap over a mile for three year old fillies. I like Ladys First here, who ran a race full of promise on her seasonal debut, after looking good at two, and could be a chance to get Fahey and Hanagan off the mark.
Good Luck, hope it is as good as Tuesday
Will
or @willbowler2k12 or Will Bowler Racing on Soundcloud

ADVISED: 
                  2pts WIN Nahrain 3.05
                 2pts WIN So You Think 3.45
                 1pt E/W Mabait and Boogie Shoes 4.25
                 4pts WIN, 2pts PLACE, Mironica 5.00
                 2pts E/W Ladys First 5.35

No comments:

Post a Comment