Monday 18 June 2012

Royal Ascot - Day 1

Ascot gets going on Tuesday with a stellar days racing in the offing, with the likes of Bated Breath, Power and the undoubted star attraction, Frankel in the opening Queen Anne.
If any of you saw my earlier post regarding the ante post look at the meeting, you'd know my feelings about Excelebration. In my mind, Frankel is destined to saunter home for this near £200,000 contest, and Excelebration is 4 nil down in the matches between the pair. He has always finished placed though, and looks better with cut in the ground, with a 3-3 record on genuine soft ground, despite the good in it now, it'll still be relatively deep. I fully expect him to finish second, and with Strong Suit in a third spot, could be a decent tricast.
The King Stand stakes is next up, a cavalry charge that will be over in a blink of an eye. Stone of Folca was great last time, and any of my Twitter followers will testify, I was a happy bunny when he won at 50/1. He is lowest rated here, and I think he will probably finish in the midfield here, but could outrun his odds to knick a place spot. I like Wizz Kid, as he handles ease in the ground and is getting better and better with racing. He was unlucky on every run in this country bar the Champions Sprint run, where he bumped into Deacon Blues, a huge improver last season. I don't think there is a Deacon Blues in here and would suggest him strongly each way.
The St James's Palace Stakes is next, a race for 3 year old colts, and a race I'm not too excited by. The race to me as it is made up of horses who are just a little bit short of top class, involving horses who were placed in Classics, apart from Power, who won the Irish 2000 Guineas last time, beating Foxtrot Romeo, who needs to prove that run wasn't a fluke, as his previous form may suggest, plus Born To Sea, Wrote and Hermival. If I had to have one running for me, then it'd be Dragon Pulse to a small each way stake. He was the victim a messy French race again last time, and in an interesting move, is reunited with Fran Berry, who rode him in Ireland, where he beat Parish Hall and finished half a length behind Power in the Moyglare last season. He looks too big at 12/1, knowing he will handle the ground and a end to end gallop should really suit.
I am delighted connections have chosen to run Sir Prancealot in the Coventry Stakes, after my confidence on the ante post blog last week, and I think he will win. I also think Englishman will run well too, I was impressed with the way he won at Newbury after having not the best runs.
The Ascot Stakes is a race I would never get too involved in also, as it is quite a niche distance and attracts a lot of jumpers. I think a couple are of interest, one more than the other. Monterey was a good winner under a enterprising ride last time, and looks to be improving. The issue is the right handed track and shorter straight, after his antics at Salisbury two starts ago. Elyaadi would be a more confident vote. He has been campaigned for this, with one run after a decent break, and ran second in the Queen Alexandra here last year. He looks a good each way play.
Finally, the Windsor Castle Stakes for 2 year olds over five furlongs. If the ground was quick, I would be keen on Bungle Inthejungle, but I'm worried about the ground with him. In that case, I wouldn't be having a look and would leave it well alone.
Good Luck and  hope you all enjoy the great racing on offer.
Will
or @willbowler2k12

ADVISED: 5pts E/W (Place) Excelebration 2.30
                  2pts E/W Wizz Kid 3.05
                  1pt E/W Dragon Pulse 3.45
                  4pts WIN Sir Prancealot 4.25
                  2pts E/W Elyaadi 5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment