Thursday 20 June 2013

Royal Ascot Day 4 Preview

As the meeting starts to draw to a close, the amount of runners certainly doesn't, with an average field of around 17 on this day, including the 29 runner Buckingham Palace Stakes to end the card which looks fiercely tough. After a very good Day 2 on the blog, let's hope I can find a few more.

2.30 - Albany Stakes (6f - 19 run)
Sandiva looks like a machine

A race that certainly has a lot of exciting fillies in it, headed by Sandiva who won with plenty of ease at Naas last time out, beating a good field with plenty in hand, including Jim Bolger's Heart Focus who reopposes again. She has been purchased out of Middleham Park since that win, and Frankie Dettori rides, but I don't see either as negatives and I think she will win. Behind her, Lucky Kristale could run well for George Margarson after wins at Newmarket and Yarmouth so far. She shows plenty of speed and should be competitive. Kiyoshi won nicely at Goodwood last time and has to be respected too. However, the each way value could lie with Race Hunter, who won a small maiden very easily on debut and has a high draw, an American pedigree and Johnny Murtagh aboard.

3.05 - King Edward VII Stakes (1m4f - 8 run)
Battle Of Marengo looks a good thing
I think this Group 2 lacks depth and looks to be Battle Of Marengo's to lose. I thought he ran a belter in the Derby after having to go for home plenty soon enough after Dawn Approach pulled his way to the front down the hill to Tattenham Corner. This is nothing like the quality of the Derby and I fully expect Battle Of Marengo to get back to winning ways, with Havana Beat the one to chase him home.

3.45 Coronation Stakes (1m - 17 run)
I can't wait to see how Viztoria gets on

My personal race of the week, an absolute screamer for three year old fillies. It has bought together Just The Judge and Sky Lantern who are taking each other on once again. Sky Lantern was on top, albeit narrowly, at Newmarket in the 1000 Guineas when the pair took each other on first time around, but Just The Judge has won the Irish equivalent since then. Both fillies are very good, but this time they go around a bend together so it'll be amazing to see which one comes out on top. There are plenty of fillies who ran behind Just The Judge who reoppose, Rehn's Nest (2nd), Big Break (4th), Mizzava (5th), Maureen (6th), Snow Queen (10th) and Masarah (15th). I think Mizzava is overpriced but suspect she will probably come up short. Big Break was one who caught the eye in that race, but her value has gone completely.
Pavlosk has been supplemented for this race after readily destroying a small field in a Listed race at York, but this is a completely different test and I'd be a bit surprised if she was quite good enough to win. The one I like a lot is Viztoria, a filly who I have followed ever since her Listed race win at The Curragh last year, where she beat Snow Queen by seven and a half lengths. She was beaten in France but after a very smooth win at the start of this season, a rise in class was the next step. The ground is a bit of a worry, but she looks speedy enough and I think she will run a huge race. Trainer Eddie Lynam says that she "could be the best he's trained".

4.25 Wolferton Handicap (1m2f - 16 run)
Bana Wu has been knocking at the door in better company
This is a very trappy handicap that I'm struggling to work out, so small stakes would be advised on Forgotten Voice, a former Hunt Cup winner who needs fast ground and a good gallop to show his best, and Bana Wu. This filly has been running well for a long while now at Listed and Group 3 level, so back in a handicap off a mark of 98 could be the time to catch her. The worry would be the draw but I think she will go well.

5.00 Queen's Vase (In memory of Sir Henry Cecil) (2m - 18 run)
Hoping for a big run by Mister Impatience
This looks for a race where I can find plenty of each way value. My main hope is Mister Impatience, who I flagged up as a Dark Horse to follow on this blog in March. I have one negative and two big positives for this race which are as follows. The negative is ground as I think he is best with cut in the ground, however he should stay the two miles no problem and Mark Johnston has a great record in this race. I think the 12/1 available is worth a go each way. Nearly Caught could run well if showing improvement from his debut Windsor win, as could Chocala if he took to the quicker ground.

5.35 Buckingham Palace Stakes (7f - 28 run)
Campanology could give Johnny Murtagh another winner
A really good handicap which I think gives us two or three strong selections. Campanology is the one I fancy for Johnny Murtagh after a hugely eye catching run last time out at The Curragh. He has past experience in big field handicaps and I think he will go very close. Emilio Largo is another horse that was a big eye catcher last time out on his first start for James Fanshawe. He was ninth in this race last year, not getting the clearest of runs, and I think he will be much closer. I saw that Ralph Beckett selected Redvers as his banker of the week in the Daily Telegraph last week, which I saw as significant because he used to train this gelding. He has a very good record at Ascot and in big fields, so must figure for George Baker.

Fingers crossed for a bit more luck on a tricky Day 4.

Any feedback? Tweet me @willbowler2k12 or fill in the box below.

Enjoy,
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment