Tuesday 18 June 2013

Royal Ascot Day 2 Preview

An amazing first day of Royal Ascot 2013 where Dawn Approach and Toronado bounced right back to their best to provide a pulsating finish to the St James's Palace Stakes. Hopefully Day 2 will be as gripping and exciting.

2.30: Jersey Stakes (7f - 21 run)
Garswood back to his best?

This is a race that I'm not too keen on and I don't have a strong opinion. There are a few horses that were down the field in the Guineas and their connections taking the view that they didn't stay, which is certainly the case with Garswood I think. He looked very good when winning at Newmarket's Craven meeting and could never get very competitive in the Guineas itself. I think Music Master and Jammy Guest will outrun their respective prices too but as I say, I don't have a strong view.

3.05: Duke of Cambridge Stakes (Windsor Forest) (1m - 10 run)
Duntle to win at Royal Ascot again?

A really top class event for Fillies and Mares. Dank has a very progressive profile and could provide Ryan Moore yet another Ascot winner. I will oppose her tentatively in favour for Duntle, who won at this meeting last year in the Sandringham Handicap. David Wachman is one of the shrewdist trainers from across the Irish Sea and I think she may the one here. There would not be a dry eye in the house if Lady Cecil could win with Chigun under Tom Queally. Thistle Bird is another improver as well so a really good race in prospect. Interestingly the top four in the market all have a course and distance win, a rarity for the meeting I would think.

3.45: Prince of Wales's Stakes (1m2f - 11 run)

Al Kazeem to beat Camelot again? I think so

Some people say this is the race of the week, and I wouldn't disagree with them. In a preview on Sunday at home, I put up Camelot as my lay of the week, and I see no reason to change. He was nearly a Triple Crown winner last year, but Main Sequence has not helped the form at all this year, being beaten by Ektihaam; who runs in the Hardwicke on Saturday, and Mukhadram who runs in this race again. Camelot has been beaten as well this season, by Al Kazeem, who is a very worthy favourite in this for me. He is still on an upward curve and has been underrated to date. The Fugue gets a fillies allowance and is a high class filly which every chance after her super smooth Nassau Stakes victory last year. French challenger Maxios will go close too after a Grade 1 win last time out at Longchamp beating Planteur. Afsare could figure too - a super race in prospect and one probably to sit back and enjoy.

4.25: Royal Hunt Cup (1m - 30 run)

Stirring Ballad has been punted off the boards

A fiercely competitive cavalry charge down the straight mile at Ascot. Stirring Ballad has been the object of a strong gamble after some glowing gallop reports from trainer Andrew Balding, and with an added bonus of Richard Hughes being on his back, I think she has every chance and must go pretty close. The doubt would be the big field intimidating her a little bit. Educate is rock solid for Jamie Spencer and must go close. Prince of Johanne is a past winner of this race and has to be feared despite him being a seven year old now. The two I like in particular are David Livingston and Winter's Night. David Livingston is another Mike De Kock runner and he sounded quietly confident last week. He used to be trained by Aiden O'Brien and is a Group 2 winner at his peak, so a mark of 102 could look quite leniant on old form. Winter's Night is a similar story, but I like her even more as she has really good form fresh and at Ascot, with two ready wins here in May and a place in the Sandringham handicap at this meeting two years ago. A mark of 97 and a very good 5lb claimer to assist her, I think she could go well.

5.00: Queen Mary Stakes (5f - 24 run)

Rizeena wins well at Sandown

A fascinating renewal of this contest for very speedy fillies. Beldale Memory probably sets the standard after a nice win at York last time out, but she is against some very unexposed rivals here. I think Rizeena is the one here for Clive Brittain after a very impressive win at Sandown last time out, beating plenty of previous winners. She had previously won at this venue so also has that in her favour in this. Reroute won very nicely at York on Friday, but this is a big step up and I'm slightly worried that she is turning out again so quickly. I think Oriel is a terrible price, as she is one of only two runners not to have won a race yet, and she has finished behind some of these, including Alutiq who could run well, Fire Blaze, another contender and Rizeena. I was impressed with Kaiulani at Leicester and she is another I am looking forward to alongside One Chance, who is a nice horse for a small yard to take to this big race. On that thread, Baytown Kestrel would prove a great story should this £400 purchase win this £56,000 pot for Phil McEntee.

5.35: Sandringham Handicap (1m - 26 run)
Woodland Aria - A handicap good thing?

A very tricky race that I can't really find an angle in. Woodland Aria would seem to be the one who is on the steepest upward curve for John Gosden and could be very well treated on the evidence on the table. I am willing to give Nargys another go after a terrible run in the Nell Gwyn for a yard that I respect hugely.

In summary, a day to go steady, but I do think Winter's Night in the Hunt Cup and Rizeena are my best bets.

Any feedback? Tweet me @willbowler2k12 or fill in the box below.


Enjoy the racing,
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment