Wednesday 3 July 2013

My first big day in the commentary box

As many of you will know, I am an aspiring racing commentator.
Recently, I was given the opportunity to commentate on harness racing at the York Raceway for their Championship meeting on 29 June.
My emotions were a mix of excitement and nerves as it is such a big fixture in the York calendar and I am an 18 year old rookie! In the days leading up to the big day, I did plenty of homework on past performances of the horses and got some great advice from fellow commentator Darren Owen, which made me feel more at ease.
So the big day started the usual way with The Morning Line, and then off to York we went at around 10am with notes and binoculars (which I don't really need) in tow. The meeting was different to those which I had been to before as there were two heats, where the two winners and eight fastest losers would qualify for the final. This was something new to deal with throughout the afternoon as I had two sets of heats ending in two finals, the three year old and four year old finals. I arrived at the track at midday and went to say hello to cameraman John and his wife Janet who is the photographer. They were a little surprised to hear I was calling this meeting as well, but for me, John and Janet make you feel much less nervous about it as they have so much knowledge and from this point onwards, I was much more excited rather than nervous.
I then went to the paddock office to see track manager Anthony Fettah, where I was told of any driver changers or non runners. Again, Anthony made me feel at ease saying "there is not 65 million people watching, so just do what you do and enjoy yourself".
I then had a bite to eat and drink before heading back to the office for the all important draw. This is pivotal to the day and I had to be there to note it all, before going through it over the tannoy. After the draw, I climbed the steps up to the commentary box and went through the draw for all the spectators for the first time in the afternoon. Before I knew it, the horses were about to parade for the first race, Heat one of the four year old championship for Fillies. After two non runners, there was only 5 runners so it was quite a nice way to start. Baby Rosa made all for Rhys Evans and won by a wide margin in a good time and I breathed a sigh of relief as everything went without a hitch. With races at twenty minute intervals, you don't think about it half as much as you might imagine as the races come thick and fast. The next two races flew by before a pulsating finish to the fourth race, the second heat for the three year old championship, which resulted in a narrow win for Irish raider Meadowbranch Ash, with six runners within two and a half lengths of each other.
The first of the finals, race ten, came around at around ten past five, a little over three hours after the first race, and it was the four year old championship, and just like the first, Baby Rosa made all for Rhys Evans before champion driver and trainer Rocker and Alexis Laidler won the three year old championship with Stamp Hill, who I had seen win twice this year at York and Leominster beforehand.
I came away beaming and happy with my work. Everyone concerned seemed happy with my commentaries and were very encouraging. My next date is on Sunday 14th July at the Evenwood meeting near Bishop Auckland, and I cannot wait. If you have never been harness racing before, I would certainly recommend it. For more information, check out the British Harness Racing Club website at This Address.

Will 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time Will.

    ReplyDelete